THE ALL-IN-ONE PROTECTIVE COATING
FOR METAL ROOF
Problems of Metal Roofing
Metal deck roofing is one of the most common materials used for roofing purpose because of its lower cost, quick and simple installation procedures and versatile applications. Metal deck roofing is suitable for factories, commercial buildings and residential houses.
Metal deck roofing is made of steel sheet coated with various types of anti-corrosion and decorative coatings. Some are protected with proprietary protective coating, some are galvanized and some are coated with organic coatings. A proper maintenance program is essential to ensure the durability of the metal roof. Some of the common problems associated with metal roofing are:
- Transmission of solar heat to the interior
- Fading and Chalking of the coating
Corrosion of metal roof caused by chemical attack is another common scene in factories. Metal roofs directly above chemical processing areas and area splashed with exhaust fumes are the high risk areas.
All-In-One Protective Coating System
An anti-corrosion maintenance coating system is design to overcome the problems faced by the metal roofing. The purpose of the coating system is listed below:
- A conducive working environment
- Reflect solar heat and reduced energy consumption for air conditioning system
- Long lasting aesthetic appearance
- Avoid leaking at joints and lapping
- Long lasting protection against corrosion
- Reduced long term maintenance cost
The Coating System:
1st Coat : PLC 118 ST
2nd Coat : PLC 118 ST
3rd Coat : PLC 450 PU
The coating system is applied over properly prepared metal roofing surface by roller, brush or spraying.
How does it work?
High build epoxy coating containing anti-corrosion pigment is applied over properly prepared metal surface. The coating will provide good bonding to the surface and create a barrier against penetration of moisture that causes corrosion. The inhibitive pigment will inhibit corrosion reactions underneath the coating film if there is any damage to the coating film. The aliphatic polyurethane topcoat provides the necessary UV protection to the epoxy layer to provide long lasting gloss and colour retention of the coating.
- Cyclic test ( UV / Salt Fog ) – Passes 4200 hours of the most stringent corrosion test for offahore oil rigs in accordance to ASTM D5894 without any sign of deterioration.
- Adhesion Test – Pull Off Adhesion Test in accordance with ASTM D4541 exceeded 1200 psi.
- Roof Coating Test in accordance with JIS K-5400 Clause 8.19, no defect observed.
- Solar Reflectance Index – 104.5 with average Solar Reflectance 0.838 and emittance value 0.88.
- Abrasion Test – Wear Index is 0.05 for test in accordance with ASTM D4060.
- Surface Preparation – The surface shall be thoroughly clean with high pressure water jet and detergent to remove dirt, oil, grease, loose paint, soluble salts and other contaminants.
- Pre-application Procedure – tighten loosened fasteners, repair/replace damaged flashing if necessary. Patch holes with fabric saturated with PLC 118 ST .
- Apply by spray or roller a coat of PLC 118 ST Surface Tolerant Epoxy to a dry film thickness of 100 microns and allow to dry overnight.
- Apply second coat of PLC 118 ST to achieve a dry film thickness of 100 microns.
- Apply a topcoat PLC 450 PU to a dry film thickness of 50 microns.